Thursday, August 15, 2013

Thursday | Adventures in Target: Days One & Two

 
This post could also appropriately be titled "In Which I Nearly Die of Nerves, Succumb to Hysteria and Abandon All Hopes of Retail Success."

Yesterday morning found me in a bad way. Like I'd-rather-die-than-go-into-work sort of way. I was so nervous, guys. I literally shut myself up in my room with the door closed, didn't even tell my roommate it was my first day of work, and I spent the whole morning and early afternoon psyching myself up for orientation. And when I say psyching myself, I mean just that - I watched back to back episodes of Psych because if I stopped and let myself think about what was coming, I'd die of spontaneous internal combustions or something horrific like that. Being unemployed never looked more beautiful than in those hours waiting for 2pm (time to go!) to arrive.

It was a crazy day, y'all. My khakis came in the mail literally at 1:30pm. Then when I was about to hit the road to get to orientation on time, I remembered that I was supposed to bring in my ID and my SS card. Which was at home in my mom's keeping. Cue the panic. My brain also though this was a good time to remind me that my gas tank was basically on empty. So, 2:02 found me in my car entirely NOT confident that my outfit was okay, speeding towards my paren'ts house which was the opposite direction of my Target to meet my younger brother at the end of the driveway with my SS card, where I drove the rest of the way with the "low fuel" light decorating my dash board like a malignant hello.

Yes, I was late. Me, the person who's completely and hopelessly OCD about never being late...was 7 minutes late for orientation. My epic fail moment. However rather than firing me on the spot with a twelve-gun rejection solute, they graciously didn't seem to even notice my tardiness.

So, orientation found me and three guys filling out paperwork and watching some videos with some hysterically over-dramatized and painfully over-acted scenarios and today found me and two of those same guys buddying up as the resident newbies behind a cash register which forever altered the way I will view check-outs for the rest of my life.

Moral of this post? I made it. Ha. Day three? Bring it on.


31 comments:

  1. awww well glad the first two days are over and done with!

    I will pray for more strength and better work days for you!!

    target is a pretty awesome place at least :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria! All prayers are so appreciated! I take learning a new job seriously and I want to do it well. :)

      And so far, I am enjoying it...in a there's-so-much-to-learn-I-feel-overwhelmed kind of way. ;)

      Delete
  2. SO GLAD YOU MADE IT THROUGH YOUR FIRST DAYS! And I can so relate to those first day jitters--I get those on the first day of anything new (i.e. school, teaching, etc.). So much excitement + nerves and nothing to do with them. :)

    Anyway, hooray for making it past the first few days, for getting through orientation, and for rocking the red + khaki. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! It's like part of me (that itty-bitty adventurous part of me!) is excited about facing a new challenge head-on...but that every-day part of me is freaking out. :D

      But so far, I'm surviving and God is good. Well, that last one was non-negotiable. :)

      Delete
  3. I went to Target today and thought about you when I was in the produce section (and could look over to the bakery). But realized you wouldn't be there since we are somewhere around 1-2 thousand miles apart. :) Yay for Psyching yourself up! (Isn't it a great distraction? :) ) "I've heard it both ways." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I feel so special, Kerry! If you're ever over in my part of paradise, you'll just have to pop in and say hi! :)

      Gotta love a good Shawn quote! :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on Target! It's going to be another great adventure. And you look adorable as a Target girl...
    Also, I need to watch Psych. Everyone says so. I feel left out:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kellie!

      And Psych is great! Not without a few moral obstacles, but overall, quite good, not to mention addictive!!

      Delete
  5. Way to go girl!! Red looks good on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's good to know, since it'll be a common color around here for me! :D

      Delete
  6. YAY Kellie! I am so happy you got a job! Now I know it might not be the first on your list, but God still provided!

    I'll be praying for patience and endurance during this new job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whew, glad you made it! You look adorable by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, shucks, KatySue! It always boosts the female moral to know that at least you look good, haha. ;)

      Delete
  8. Well, I think you look cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for each day to get a litle smoother as you get comofortable in your new role! Hooray for paychecks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A second the motion! Paychecks are amazing. :)

      Delete
  10. Way to go Kellie! I admit that I would have been terrified and nervous on my first day too. You're not the only one! But you pushed through it and made that oufit work so well! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brea!!! I had visions of me being this uber-cool, calm and collected person on my first day, when in reality...I was nearly hysterical. :D

      Delete
  11. You're so cute!

    Check-out will never be the same again, eh? I hear ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why must they put "new team member" on your name-tag?? Eh. Glad your first few days went well! Do you get discounts?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I know what you mean! "Woefully under-confident and oblivious employee coming through!!" :D

      Delete
  13. Knew you'd do fine. Despite a rough first couple of days, I hope you are settling in, Kellie. Wishing you all the best, girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rissi! That really does mean a lot to me! :)

      Delete

Oooh, you're about to comment! How exciting! Know that you are SO MUCH MORE than just a name and a comment to me - you're a person I'd like to get to know! Make sure you check back, as I reply to each comment. I love getting to talk/correspond with each of you!