Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tuesday

Who is the man who fears the Lord?
Him will He instruct in the way that he should choose.
His soul shall abide in well-being and his offspring shall inherit the land.
The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear him,
and He makes known to them His covenant.

Psalm 25:12-14

Taken on my phone, obviously.


I am amazed at all the benefits of simply fearing the Lord: instruction in decision making, contentment of the soul, generational prosperity, the personal friendship of the Lord, not to mention that the Lord will "tell you His secrets," as I like to put it. Of course, even though I said by "simply" fearing the Lord, we all know that living in fear of the Lord isn't really that simple. But it should be. Things really only become complicated and complex when we're not willing to put it all down. I'm the rebel child in God's family, and I know that the results of fighting God are anything but peaceful. One of my favorite quotes of all time is found in the novel Christy by Katherine Marshall (and yes, I believe that truth can be found in fiction!):

"The only time I ever find my dealings with God less than clear-cut, is when I'm not being honest with Him."

That pretty much says it. Living in the fear of the Lord begins with complete honesty with God. Something I'm working on right now. Really, if it wasn't breaking His heart, I think God would probably be laughing at me when He sees me trying to hide things from Him! My futile attempts at avoiding detection by putting my earbuds in or sticking my nose in a book must seem to Him like my little niece who covers her eyes with her hands and then says " You can't see me!" But I don't think God laughs at me like that, because my behavior does break His heart. He's so big and holy and righteous and perfect...that even my silly hiding places are enough to break the heart of such a God.

Right there in Psalm 25, the Lord lays out so clearly what He'll do for me if I fear Him. I stand holding in my hand a fun-sized bag of Skittles...when God wants to give me the run of a Charlie-and-the-Chocolate-Factory sized Candy Shop. If the Candyman can, God certainly can. And will.

Who is the man who fears the Lord? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oooh, you're about to comment! How exciting! Know that you are SO MUCH MORE than just a name and a comment to me - you're a person I'd like to get to know! Make sure you check back, as I reply to each comment. I love getting to talk/correspond with each of you!